My goose bit my neighbor

mdfishinggirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
I have a Toulouse Goose (2 actually) and one of them has been a bit aggressive. Not so much towards us, but today, went over to the neighbor's yard and bit one of them! I am so sad, as I raised her/him from a baby. The other goose is a female and is very calm. We have a large piece of property and they free range in the day. I can't see keeping them locked up all day. It does not seem fair, yet I can't let them out of my sight now either. My neighbor was (understandably) upset and would like us to get rid of her. My kids are very upset, but I just can't see how I can keep this aggressive goose. Any suggestions (or anyone in Maryland want a goose?)?? The Goose is 8 months old.

I agree, the neighbor has never said anything when the geese or the few chickens we have wander into their yard (we give them eggs). She was just shooing them out when the goose went after her. I can try to keep them in our yard as best I can and hopefully we won't have another incident. I do think she is still maturing and this is why she is acting like this. Thanks for the reality check!!

Quote:
While I agree, lol

I also am of the very strong opinion that I should be able to be in my OWN yard without being harassed by someone else's animals.

I think the OP needs to keep the goose on her own property, just like I expect my neighbors to keep their dogs on their own property.

very true.
my neighbors have this dalmation...they love this dog more than anything and like to let it loose in the mornings..i am terrified of her! she might be wonderful to her owners but when im in my yard, there is no way i want this dog running around and trying to jump on me.
i wouldnt think a pen would be that hard to build. i had a couple of geese and i just used regular chicken wire and t posts. it costed maybe 20 dollars and that way, they werent always beating up the chickens
smile.png
smile.png

In the summer, we have the geese in a large enclosure, but it is a fair distance from the water source. I have pools that I fill in that enclosure with a hose, but I had to move the pools closer to the source, as I can't keep a hose out in the winter months. I will have to build another enclosure closer to the water source for winter. We live in the country, but that is no excuse. I agree, I wouldn't want other peoples animals on my property. Thank you for your responses.

I, personally, would love it if one of my geese bit some of my neighbors!
gig.gif

But, seriously, it is a dilemma and I wouldn't want to be terrorized in my own yard by someone else's goose. I hope you find a way to keep your geese and keep your neighbors happy. I would hate for you to have to get rid of them!

Okay, the geese are in a temp enclosure near their winter water source. I will improve their summer digs...and make the winter enclosure more perm. Unless I can be out there with them (ie...in the garden in summer), then they will have to stay put. When they stay in the back acreage, they are such a help and so good. My husband mentioned that I got close to the neighbor and that goose is very protective. Either way, it doesn't make it right...but might explain some of the behavior. We get along fine with our neighbors and I am sure we will work it out. Keeping the kids and the dog outside helps keep the birds on our property too. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom