my goose can't walk or fly

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ucheer4me, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ucheer4me

ucheer4me Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    While rounding up our birds this evening one of our mascovy ducks was trying to mate with my toulouse goose. She could not get up and her feet were straight back behind her. She tried to get up and fly but fell right back down. We got her in the house and put her in the dog kennel and after a bit she just stood in the corner. she would turn around and walk a little. after about an hour we got her out of the kennel and went to put her outside in the coop. We set her on the ground and she tried to flap her wings and she immediately fell to the ground with her legs behind her again. after about 10 minutes she stood up and went to the coop door. She was waddling strange and as soon as she got in the coop she flopped to the ground with her legs behind her again. He partner wont leave her and just hangs his head over her. I am worried that something is seriously wrong with her. I have only had birds for a year and have never had a hurt bird. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ucheer4me

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    My goose is up and out of the coop but she isn't wanting to walk. she made it to the waterer and then fell. Her left leg is about twice as fat as her right. she will stand on it but makes no attempt to try to walk any more than she has to. what can i do to help her?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You need to pick her up and examine her leg and foot for any injuries, look up bumble foot for one thing. also you could put her into a nice tub of warm water and let her float and take some pressure off her legs for a bit also watch how she uses her legs in the water if at all, do not leave her unattended while she is in water . How long as this been going on/ and what all have you been doing feed meds vitamins? I'll be back later but hopefully someone else can help you out. I was thinking possible egg bound but if egg bound soaking in nice warm water may help her relax enough to pass the egg.

4. ucheer4me

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    she was perfectly fine until one of our masvocy drakes tried to mate with her last night. they aren't very gentle. I will see if she will let me bring her in the house and let her bathe. She has been laying an egg every 2 days. Yesterdays egg was smaller than all the other ones she has laid and it had a little bit of blood on it. and she laid it out in the pen instead of in her nest which is not like her.

5. ucheer4me

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    when I went to get her out of the pen she tried to fly but her feet curled up in balls and she just falls to the ground. that was happening last night also. she is in the tub and is moving and swimming just fine. her feet look normal, i see no bumps or cuts.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

7. ucheer4me

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    There isnt one close to here. Would bumblefoot make het not able to fly? After a closet look at her feet one looks to have a bump on it.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have not dealt with bumble foot, so I don't know. Does she have access to oyster shell?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Has she ever been de-wormed?

-Kathy

10. ucheer4me

Feb 12, 2015
    seabeck wa
    [​IMG]
    is this bumblefoot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by