My goose has a cut on his bill What can I do?

Rose4aname

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
roll.png
My goose has scratched his bill on the fence and made it bleed. He has done it more than once and I don't know what I can do to help with healing. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you can catch him, clean the cut good with a little hydrogen peroxide (it stings) or just soap and water. Dry if off and put neosporin on it, or any over the counter antiseptic. He will hate this, but repeat every day, or more often if have the time. Catch, wash the bill, apply neosporin. Make sure his water is clean, maybe put a little apple cider vinegar in it to keep the bacteria/algae population down. I'll bet it's closed and healing in a couple of days. My gander used to fight with my dog and the turkey during breeding season, and got a few good punctures in his bill. They healed up very quickly.

I'm more worried about why he keeps injuring his bill on the fence. Is he being chased by another gander? Is he separated from his friends? Is he just very very determined to NOT be in his pen
big_smile.png
???

Last edited:
He is lonely and tries to get out to be with the dogs (they don't like being followed). I had two but one died about a week and a half ago. He is the only goose. I was able to clean and put the neosporin on it, I think he actually liked it. He is a big baby and sits next to me so I can check him out. Thanks for the help, I wish I had found this site before my other one quit eating.

Your solution is obvious then
smile.png
He needs a friend. Gawd, if he's trying to hang out with DOGS that is one desperately lonely goose
sad.png

Get him a duck or a chicken or two or three. He is depressed. He needs a flock. Geese don't injure themselves like this unless they are desperate and sad.

I just rescued a female goose to put with my male/female pair. Her "husband" was killed by coyotes a few weeks ago. When I picked her up, she was skin and bones, her feathers were dry and brittle and she was weak. Imagine being alone with no human contact? That's how your goose feels
sad.png
. Only much worse.

My rescue goose is now growing new feathers and eating like a horse. She likes me just fine but if she loses sight of Petey and Petey Girl while I'm holding her, she struggles to get free. This is their nature and we should respect that, and try to help them live the way they want to
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom