1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Goose Has Laid 5 Eggs When Will She Sit

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rbmceel, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rbmceel

rbmceel New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    My White Chinese Goose Has Laid 5 Eggs So Far, One Every Other Day. Are The Eggs Going To Be Good, If She Does Deside To Sit On Them, I Put One In The Incubator. Should I Turn Them, They Are Outside In A Plastic Dog House In A Pen, With Straw, She Covers Up The Eggs. Thanks For Any Help.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    She'll sit when she's ready. My one goose laid 10 eggs before she was ready to sit. They'll still be fine. They don't start incubating until she sits on them. Good luck!

Laurie

3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

any pictures?

THis is my 1st year with geese laying... It was really funny.. My ducks started to nest and laid 7 eggs in a small nest, well more like a dip in the ground... then my Goose went into the nest and compleatly changed it. She added twigs, dead grasses, leaves and a few feathers. The nest is now 2 times bigger than when it was with duck eggs. When she layed the eggs, she covered them with dead grass to hide the eggs.

SHe only laid 2 eggs so far... so I took the duck eggs away and left the nest with 2 goose eggs. So lets see how she does as a mom.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. rbmceel

rbmceel New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    not sure how to add pictures, last monday she started laying but im worried that the eggs will be old by the time she desides to sit on them, how long are they good for if she hasnt sat on them yet. do you know how to add pictures?

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they can lay anywhere from 10 on up eggs.. Let mother nature take its course.. As long as she uses the nest and lays regularly.. dont worry.. but if she abandonds them, then take the eggs and incubate them.. .worst case.. you loose the 1st eggs laid, but the last eggs should still be good if there fertile.

6. rbmceel

rbmceel New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    thanks she is laying a egg every other day, and putting them in the same nest and then she covers the up with straw, i took the first one and put in the incubator. i will be candling that one soon.

7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would put all in the incubater and then let her set latter in the year. She should lay at least 40 eggs a season.

8. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    What breed are you hatching?

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I have hatched most breeds.

10. rbmceel

rbmceel New Egg