My goose is a murder....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by audy5000g, Mar 4, 2013.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    He killed the male muscovy this weekend while we were gone. My daughter is crushed.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you know what happened? MY Muscovy Drake could most likely hold his on with my big Embden gander, are you talking gander to drake or what? So sorry for your loss.Sorry I see you said male Muscovy. wow . so sorry.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I'm sorry for your loss but how do you know it was the goose that killed him?

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    If you have geese and ganders together with your ducks this time of year, you are taking a chance. This is mating season and males will do what they are hardwired to do no matter what. I am lucky in that I can be home with mine all day most days so can advert most problems as they happen. This is a full time job! Next year things will be different here. Ducks and geese will not share the same pen during mating season, it's just too dangerous for the ducks.

I truely am so sorry for the lose you and your daughter have faced. It's an awful reminder that these are wild creatures we keep and their habits are their own. I have geese setting nest right now and everyday I cringe a little bit everytime I let them out in the morning, not knowing what I will find. I am sorry if my responce seems harsh, but the truth here is that the geese are acting as they are supposed to act. It is up to us to make sure they cannot do harm while being geese.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    So sorry. [​IMG]Poor scovy.
    I have lost a few chickens over the years to the geese. Its always during mating season, when somebody get caught up in the coop. If they are in a place that the smaller birds can easily get trapped.....

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    So sorry for your loss. We keep all our birds separate. Our geese are out with our Nigerian Dwarf goats during the day, separate pen at night. We also keep our bantam chickens separate from our ducks. I've observed that all of my birds will go after anything smaller than they are. I've even had to put 1/4" - 1/2" hardware cloth on the outside of our bantam chicken pens as the geese were trying to bite their heads off when they poked their heads out of the chain link to look for goodies on the other side. i've seen pictures of people's farm where all the critters are peacefully running together. That isn't the case here.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by