My Goose is coming next week!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ginormous chicken, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have a gander that is 6 weeks. He is super sweet and friendly and has been living with chickens! I have a goose on order for him she is coming next week. [​IMG] They are both Africans. Here is my question: my guess is that the goose I get is going to be 2 weeks old. He is 6 weeks. When is it safe to stick the gander with the goose due to the age difference? I got her so that he would have a mate.

This is my first experience with geese. I have had a great time. I know this is byc and all, but it amazes me how much smarter they are than chickens! [​IMG] He is a good boy and I have a feeling this is going to be my only pair so I am really enjoying it while it lasts. He makes me smile [​IMG] when he goes "wookie wookie wookie" you guys know what I mean!

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    anyone?

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I would say when they're both finally close to the same size. I'd let them meet a lot first under supervision and see how it goes.

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I would put them together now and watch what happens. They're really still both babies. I have all ages of chinese together and have never had a problem with the geese - had an adult duck try to mount a young goose and had to take her back into the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by