My goose isn't even 1 yr old yet is she going to lay a egg (pics)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Sep 20, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    :)My geese are not a yr old, but one acts like it wants to lay an egg.
    She makes a hole in the drit and sits in it for a lil bit but never lays an egg, than the next day she does the same thing but no egg. Is it breeding time for them even though they are not even a yr old? Sorry im new to geese can anyone help? [​IMG]

Here she is (i dont really know what she is doing) can any one help a newbie [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Looks like she is getting things ready.. Geese generally lay before a year old...so you will probably get one soon. Although usually by now they have laid out, but I hear ppl. saying it has been a strange year and some have geese still laying. so Good Luck and get ready..

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, it certainly does look like she is thinking about it. My blue american goose was about 9 1/2 months old when she laid her first egg, but she was a late-spring baby and it was in early spring of the following year. Geese don't normally lay this time of year, but stranger things have happened [​IMG]

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I had Toulouse geese and my hen's all laid egg's before one year and I had 5 hen's rotating sitting.Hope you get some gosling's.She's so pretty.

5. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    She's definitely practicing up. Being that she's under a year old the chances of her eggs being fertile, if she lays any, would probably be slim. The youngest goose I have had that layed fertile eggs and hatched them was 15 months. She happened to be my only goose who layed a clutch last fall after I thought the breeding season was long over so it definitely happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by