My goose went Broody and insists on sitting ....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gigglssmls, Dec 6, 2012.

1. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Knowing that the goslings will most likely NOT be a success due to the time of year we gave in to her and let her sit. She started with 10 eggs and is now down to 3. She is not eating them but they are breaking. I clean up cracked eggs regularly out of her nest with egg and the whites still in the shells (minus the yolk that is on her belly. She goes into a depression id I take an egg so I just left them. I have to pick her up and take her out to bath, use the bathroom and eat because she is a great sitter. Should I remove the last three eggs when she is out on a break? I candled them and they are good eggs so I am baffled and bewildered as to what I should do at this point. Shes been sitting now for 17 days.... sigh. [​IMG]

Sincerely.
    Michelle

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you mean there is life in the eggs? if so I'd leave them.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Can you adjust the nest and add more padding or make it deeper so that she doesn't keep breaking them? I don't have any experience with this, haven't hatched goslings but I do have a goose that just started laying this week. One of the eggs got stepped on, I think it was the male though.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Geese need deep padding under the nest or the eggs can end up broken. I put down a thick layer of shavings and then cover that with a deep layer of soft hay. She will move the hay around and push it up to make sides to teh nest, so it takes a lot of hay in order to still have a thick layer underneath her.

I wouldn't worry about the weather. The mama goose will keep those babies plenty warm. The gander will protect them, too. I've seen a hatch of goslings sheltering under the wings of 4 different geese when it rained: their mother, their father, and 2 unrelated geese, all caring carefully for the goslings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by