1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My great adventure

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by halo, Jan 12, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Well, I went up to the chicken show up at Lake City today. I felt like I stepped back about 30 years. I pulled up to the Fairgrounds, and they have a smallish flea market. I moseyed around (bought some oranges, tomatoes, and onions)...thinking, geez, I dont even hear any chickens, I must be in the wrong place....when I heard a faint....er er er er ERRRRR......

So I followed that sound to a long building, and boy did I hear chicken talk. I walked in the building....WOW!!!! rows after rows after rows of chickens, geese, ducks even some rabbits. I walked up and down the rows just gazing at all the different breeds. Seemed to be mostly bantys, but there were some gorgeous standards....a white Rock rooster that was bigger than my friends hound dog! Then I walked out back and everyone was selling chickens out of the backs of their vehicles. It was so great!!!! (no I didnt buy anything, Im not set up yet).

The oddest chickens I saw were these tall skinny chickens (i forget their name, it was on their cage)....they almost looked like some teeny prehistoric chickens. Long long legs (skinny!) with a skinny body. Funny lookin!!

Had a great day!

2. jab91864

jab91864 Songster

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    It sounds like it would be a fun afternoon. I don't think I could be trusted though. I know I would become frenzied with want and I have to have it syndrome..lol

Julie [​IMG]

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    the colombia coundy fair grounds are preety big, i live 30 mins from it but , i was sick the weekend so coulnt go [​IMG] .

4. soonerdog

soonerdog Songster

Sounds like the perfect adventure. As I was reading your adventure I was hangning on every word and in fact I for a moment it seemed as though I was there with you. LOL......wish I had of been. [​IMG] Soonerdog

5. How fun for you....those prehistoric ones must have been the Modern Game birds.....hysterical aren't they........ I will be getting some Modern eggs to hatch in March !

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member 10 Years

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wonder if the Inverness show will be like that?

7. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Songster

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    i hope the Inverness one will be neat. I am planning on gong to that one. The lake city one I did not know about and could not get away this weekend to go to. They sound like a lot of fun and a new adventure.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Does anyone have any info on the Inverness Show, such as the times, where it is, and how to get there?

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I moseyed around (bought some oranges, tomatoes, and onions)...thinking, geez, I dont even hear any chickens, I must be in the wrong place....when I heard a faint....er er er er ERRRRR......

I loved your post!! Made me smile, glad you had a great day, your descriptions are colorful and my favorite part was that you said "moseyed around"!!! Please post more of, you have a refreshing way of presenting your points, made my day!! [​IMG] Darlene​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: