My Greenhouse/coop plan

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mbobb2012, Nov 22, 2012.

1. mbobb2012

mbobb2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    this is just the artistic rendering, but I'm building the whole thing out of recycled material...I'm super excited.

2. mbobb2012

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    What a lovely idea!!!

4. mbobb2012

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. mbobb2012

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I just completed a greenhouse and enclosed run addition that connects to my existing coop and garage...so I'm pretty interested in your plans! Last summer I began by building my coop as a lean-to that extends off my garage. I cut a door in the wall of the garage so that we enter the coop through the garage (love this feature in winter!).

Then this summer, on the same wall of the garage but further south, I added a greenhouse a few weeks ago. The greenhouse is about 10 feet away from the coop and inbetween the coop and greenhouse we added a covered, enclosed run. We had several reasons for creating the run, foremost, we wanted to shade the area between the coop and the greenhouse because I was worried about heat build-up from the greenhouse affecting the heat in the coop during the summer when this southwest area gets pretty hot. Then, this enclosed run is my composting spot, my chicken isolation option when broodies hatch chicks, and a way to enclose the flock from predators when we're gone for the weekend (normally they free range during daylight, closed in at night).

I'm not sure but your drawing looks like the greenhouse and coop are both inside the garage? I'm curious how this will work, e.g. sunlight to the greenhouse, heat affecting the chickens? I'd love to hear more about your project and how you're addressing these issues.

Will you be using your chickens, and their manure, to aid in composting? I am amazed at how fast chickens scratching through a pile can speed up the process and am using them to create compost for use in my greenhouse.

7. mbobb2012

Nov 14, 2012
    Actually the greenhouses going to be an addition to the garage, yeah my plans are a bit off but the floor plan i put up will strictly be the interior garage space. The interior window you see will lookinto the greenhouse. I havent decided on compost , i may have the bin inside their run so they can accsess it, but not sure, i would like to compost. The green house is a traditional cold frame on top od a earth filled tire wall, (for thermal mass) So im not sure what that will do to the heat, lol dont you love the pineapple tree lol, i actually have one in my house i started 4 months ago, its growing sloo but alive. These re all just ideas, but my goal is to execute by spring and i started collecting bottles and tires, and i have plenty ofold windows and scrap wood haha. There is a local earthship where i live and im working with them to host a workshop to help with the greenhouse build. then ill put the run up right against the greenhousse, Im going to start work on the coop in january or so.

[​IMG]

The grey boxes are doors and blue are indows :)
    the grey line is my fence and the break in it is the gate

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Sounds really neat. I let the chickens into my greenhouse all the time. I let my chickens freerange in groups. I find they really don't scratch up stuff that's in pots all that much but will go through and eat weeds and grass that get in the pots and also eat up bugs (yeah) and also my little tree frogs and lizards (boo). I usually end up finding a nest in a corner or between pots where some of the girls will get ideas about laying and hiding eggs in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by