My grit looks so big!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texas_chick, Feb 23, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I purchased the chick starter kit from Meyer Hatchery.
    It comes with chick starter food, gro-gel, chick grit and electrolyte/vitamin powder.

I am ready to use the gro-gel tomorrow when the chicks arrive (hopefully alive!).
    I already put the chick starter into the feeder and sprinkled some on the paper towel.

I just don't know about the grit. The chick starter looks like processed crumbles with a few little bits of corn.
    The chick grit is way coarser than I imagined though!
    could it have gotten mixed up or are tiny baby chicks really going to eat those coarse rocks? Somehow I imagined it to be more like sand....

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I have never used chick grit![​IMG]?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Feed the chicks the starter crumbles. They don't need grit at ths point.

4. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    When I use grit for chicks I use the grit you get at the store for finches and small pet birds. That be a bit better and smaller if you want to try it. Just imo.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Aren't there very fine grit particles in chick starter anyway? Mix a couple of spoonfuls with water; you should see tiny grey particles of grit once the crumble is liquefied and falls apart.

6. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Okay. I'll try the water test.
    Here's what it looks like out of the bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    That is BIG! The chick grit I get locally is finely ground granite and its just as fine as sand. I add the grit to the food, but with grit so large you might just scatter some in the brooder and let them eat the particles they can.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The chicks only need chick starter. With chick starter you don't need extra grit.

They only need grit when they have been given something that doesn't break apart in water and needs to be ground up in their gizzard to digest.

9. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Okay most of the starter stuff does dissolve in water although the little bits of dry corn of course don't dissolve.

Does my starter feed look okay? Is that the kind they can eat without grit (other than the corn which I guess will just pass through)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by