My Guineas are laying eggs in Winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MTtroutwithwings, Feb 4, 2009.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Since my young girls decided to be rebels and started laying out of season, I'm 99% sure they're not fertile (otherwise they'd be in the bator [​IMG] ) but now I've collected 19 of them, so to include them in our food source for now, I was wondering does anyone know if they taste like chicken eggs or are they different? [​IMG]

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I would imagine you are correct regarding fertility. I spent quite some time talking to a breeder about fertiltiy in these strange creatures. and he tells me the cocks really wont be fertile or interested in breeding when it is cold. I have a book on guinea rearing and eggs etc. They insist the eggs are delicous maybe a bit richer in flavor than chicken and make superior cakes and baked goods because of some difference in the make up of the egg. I cant tell you exactly why.

I would eat them, but all of my guineas turn out to be cocks.

3. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Thanks Greathorse, I appreciate the info. My group of guineas are only
    6 months too so I assume because of age as well that the cock isn't reading yet for breeding. He does however like to charge at them, maybe just a reminder to his harem who's in charge! [​IMG]
    I love to bake so now I know what to do with the eggs! It's my understanding that 2 guinea eggs is equivalent to 1 large chicken egg so it should work out well. [​IMG]

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    The eggs are delicious! Very mild tasting and are good for baking.
    But, I would like to know how to tell the roo from the hen....mine will not stand still long enough to look at!

5. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Antiquebuff- You'll never be able to tell by looking under them. The females will start talking somewhere between 4-6 weeks of age with their buckwheat chant, its' unmistakable! The males will are pretty quiet until they're about 3 months, then and only then will they pipe up with they're call of chi-chi-chi which is extremely loud as they alerting you of something unusual or even dangerous! The buckwheat chant can be loud too but not like the male call. My girls walk around the yard chanting all day long and even in the coop!
    Hope this helps! How old are your guineas keets now?

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    All true just to be clear, both hens and cocks can make the loud grating AACK AACKAACKAAACK sound but only the hen can make the two syllable Buck wheat Buck Wheat.

7. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    [​IMG] yup,yup, yup, it's all very true! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by