My guinea's earned their feed today

Renegade

Songster
12 Years
Oct 8, 2007
Griffin, GA
I like my guinea fowl but my husband is not as fond of them. The birds free range with my flock of Marans. Over the years we have lost quite a few chickens to predators so I added the guineas this year hoping they would alert the chickens to any threats.
I was outside working on some landscape this morning when I heard the guineas frantic alarm call. I looked up to see a hawk sitting on one of my fence posts and the guineas about 15 feet away with no where to hide. I thought for sure the hawk was going to have guinea hen for breakfast. All of a sudden the guineas charged the hawk as a group (25) and the hawk quickly left.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
They made my day!!!

Donna
smile.png

Guineas Rock! I've had about 100-ish over the years and they are the best watch-birds ever! I love the noise too. We called it the "Roosting Ritual"! I'll get more in the spring. Bet you don't have many insects either.

I like my guineas. They can be noisy but I like the noises they make. They make me laugh sometimes too. They do chatter quite a bit at the end of the day when they go to roost. It's kind of funny to watch them. It's like they're having a conversation about who gets to go first or who roosts next to who. Ours sleep in the barn on the tops of the walls. We have a couple of pallets leaning against the wall and they hop up the slats on the pallet up to a chest and then on top of the wall. My leghorn hen always hangs out with them and roosts with them at night. She seems to prefer their company over the chickens.

Donna
smile.png

It's so nice to hear happy guinea stories! My group will band together and chase off cats that are in their area. Chasing off a hawk? That's great! Go guineas go!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom