My Hamburgs keep roosting outside the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dracoonfly, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    I have 5 Silver Spangled Hamburgs and 4 EE's. My coop is the bottom half of a children's wooden swingset fort. The upper fort part is still available for kids to climb on. At night, most of the chickens go into the coop to roost, but lately my Hamburg rooster and one of the Hamburg hens keep flying up to roost in the fort. Previously, we had no problems with this, but they are about 15 weeks old now. The top part of the fort is about 8 feet high and its difficult to get them down and back in the coop where I can secure them for the night. I have an electric net around the coop so it's safe from most predators, but I worry about the coming winter and their warmth if I allow them to stay where they want.

I have clipped both wings, but that obviously hasn't helped. I can't imagine having to continue getting them down every evening to lock them up forever. Is there something else I can do or do I have to get my husband to block off the top of the fort? The roost in the coop in about 3 feet off the ground; could it be that it just isn't high enough for my flighty Hamburgs?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Birds love to have access to the highest available point in their coop, so you're running into normal behavior. I'm not sure what changes will be practical for you to achieve, whether you are prepared to rebuild for the kids and to give the birds renovated space as part of the coop...or whether you might have to modify it to deny access. Certainly their droppings are not great for the children nor is the feather dust...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by