My Handicapped Chicken

ChrisTheChickenFarmer

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2017
We had our first chicken tragedy on the farm this year. My red sexlink chickens were about 4 months old when one was savagely attacked by a raccoon, as I was coming out to lock the birds up. I ran out and snatched her from the racoon's grasp. The chicken's leg was badly broken from being dragged halfway up a tree. I made sure to splint her leg and waited for a sign that she was to live. She was in shock while she lived in my house and would only stand when I would help her up. She slowly but surely became strong enough to join our smaller rhode island red birds in the small chicken coop. After a month and a half, I removed her splint and she is doing much better with her mobility but she still has some trouble. I don't pick names for our birds normally but she earned the name of Baby because we bonded while she was healing. She never laid eggs, due to the trauma, but i was going to keep her as a pet because I couldn't fathom to remove her now. Well, this weekend has been a huge triumph for Baby, because she has laid her first 2 eggs! I am so proud and had to share her achievement.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    850.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    673.5 KB · Views: 27
Oh my gosh, she is so cute! You're an amazing person for being able to help her through that, that couldn't have been easy! Was the leg the only thing injured? She mustv'e been scratched up pretty badly. Luckily I don't have many raccoons in my area, but there sure are a whole lot of foxes, hawks, and weasels!

Thanks a lot! Luckily, she wasn't injured other than her leg. The raccoon pulled a bunch of belly feathers off but they grew back pretty quickly. Yeah, we have a bunch of those predators too but I take care to put the birds up before dusk now.

Yeah, I have to put mine up pretty early, and yet the foxes still come. Mine go in at six and I shut the door. I always feel bad because there's still a good two and a half hours of light, but then I don't when a fox comes and I have to try to save a dying chicken or duck. Th foxes know my schedule though, they started coming around two in the afternoon or wait until I let them out at 8 so I had to have someone come and trap and release the foxes. It's eased up quite a bit, the only thing now is hawks, but I can't do anything about that since it's illegal to harm or trap them :barnie

Yeah, I have to put mine up pretty early, and yet the foxes still come. Mine go in at six and I shut the door. I always feel bad because there's still a good two and a half hours of light, but then I don't when a fox comes and I have to try to save a dying chicken or duck. Th foxes know my schedule though, they started coming around two in the afternoon or wait until I let them out at 8 so I had to have someone come and trap and release the foxes. It's eased up quite a bit, the only thing now is hawks, but I can't do anything about that since it's illegal to harm or trap them :barnie
Oh wow! Those foxes seem like a pain! Good luck keeping them away from your flock.

Back
Top Bottom