My handmade brooder!

classroomducks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Well she aint pretty but i think it will do the trick for both a brooder and a pen for when they are getting bigger. Lockdown is Wednesday 28!
ya.gif
Im so glad this wait is almost over. Im dying to see these babies!

41516_dscn0120.jpg

41516_dscn0121.jpg

What do you guys think? Will it work?
fl.gif

yep sher will... it looks good... IMHO it might be a little hard to clean... unless you have a pan under the shelf liner???
PS you might want to put the light a little lower for the first few days...

Last edited:
Hey, That looks pretty darn cool!

Just curious... will you be making 2? One at home and one at school? Will you come in on the weekends to care for them?

Last edited:
I have a tray under it. Under the shelf liner is a layer of door screen, and then some chicken wire to support the screen, and then some support wood beams. My students and I are going to be lining the walls around the cage with construction paper. And Im not sure about the light. I have a thermometer under it and it said 120 degrees after being on for half an hour. It is only a 100 watt bulb. When i moved it up it went to about 100. Thats what it should be at right?

OH and I will be going back and forth between school and home on the weekends. I live in an apt and it is just not feesable to bring 15 ducklings home. Plus I have two very curious kittys at home. I have an assistant that lives really close to the school. Both of us have access to the building on the weekends, so I'm thinking well be fine that way.

its alot fancier than my brooder right now im using a one level guinea pig cage for my 5 week old standard cochins and a rubber maid tub for my little ducklings age 2days-1week.....so that brooder is really cool then i have a rabbit hutch in my garage i use until everybody is about 10weeks old!!! so bravo!

its really not that fancy. just some wood screws and chicken wire. And lots and lots of "duck" tape (lol) to hold the pointy parts of the wire down. It had to be more than just a brooder though because these messy littler critters will be living in my classroom for the next six weeks.
sickbyc.gif
They are currently in the bathroom in my classroom...at least its supposed to be stinky in there
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the comments. I pulled most of it from doing research on here. You guys are awesome. 5 days to go...
jumpy.gif

They likely won't need it to be 100 degrees 85-90 would be good so I would bring the light up a little more or drop the wattage to 75. I really hope you don't get 15 and they do not have to stay in that 6 weeks, lol, the stink at 2 weeks will be phenomenal and so will the work cleaning it.

Well they wont be penned in there all day...mostly at night. And lucky for me i have great kiddos who arent afraid of getting dirty. They are already excited to help clean. They know its going to stink. They know they are going to get pooped on, and they know they have to help. We plan on doing it daily. Im sure I really have no idea what I am getting myself into
lau.gif
. This will be interesting...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom