My handsome Rooster, Rudy, was attacked!! Need HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Riverrunhenhouse, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Riverrunhenhouse

Riverrunhenhouse In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2019
    Last Thursday my rooster was attacked by either a fox or a raccoon. We guided him to the hen house and he ran in a tree really hard. He has bite marks on the top of his head and crown which we cleaned with saline and after a few days was able to put meda honey on them to heal them. He was really raspy and gurgling. I tried to feed im with a syringe which was not a good idea since I did not know that on one side is the airway and the other side of the mouth is the way to the crop. I was told by an Avian vet to give him Tylan 200 2 times a day 6 units. His gurgling has cleared up but he sits in his box and just sleeps. I try to wake him up and his eyes open slightly. I am trying to give him water and I made a mash with his food and added vitamin E since his head is bobbing up and down unless he is sound asleep. He might be eating 7 - 10 ml of the mash a day. I don't know what to do anymore.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Riverrunhenhouse :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.
    Can you post some photos of him and his wounds?
    It sounds like it's time to re-visit the vet since he's not improving.

Have you been able to get any fluids into him? Have your vet show you how to tube feed and give oral medication. You can also follow the links below for some tips on doing that yourself.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Texas Kiki likes this.
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow I agree. Some pictures would help. Good luck...

Texas Kiki likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

So sorry about rudy :hugs Best of luck with him, you've got good help already here:fl

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome! Sorry about Rudy! Hope the suggestions above will provide some help! :fl

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you have a game camera, put it up. Most likely the predator that attacked Rudy will be back and then you will know what you're dealing with. I had some problems with a fox which killed my most favorite bird during the middle of the day not long ago. I got the fox.
    DSCF0012 22.jpg

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: