my hatch is now 3 days late opinions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lynnk, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    Hi all,

this is not my first hatch. I have a new hovabator (last year) with egg turner. I took them out of the turner day 18 as usual. temp has been steady at 99.9. humidity since lockdown has been about 60-70%.

I have always had success with this incubator unless I did something stupid. Last time I forgot to plug in the turner. [​IMG]

I candled the eggs at 7 days and culled the duds.

what the heck is going on? I usually can predict pretty well when the first pip will happen. this is stumping me.

Lynn:barnie

2. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    have you ever tried setting them by the moon?

3. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    what do you mean set by the moon?

4. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:you have never heard of setting eggs by the moon? the farmers almanac chart they have telling you what is the best day to set eggs and plant things

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    If you are on day 24 and nothing is happening it kind of sounds like they all quit on you. I'd give them another day or two just in case.
    I like to candle going into lockdown so I know what to expect. Were these shipped eggs, or your eggs or what?

6. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    They were my eggs. The majority of them would have been within 4 days of being laid so they were all fresh. This has never happened before. Everyone expects a couple to be duds for whatever reason, but not all of them. I have had 3 hatches already under same circumstances this year and most have hatched with the exception of the time I forgot to plug in the turner.
    this time I was really paying attention.

hmmm

I don't want to open the incubator in case they are just slow, but I am also tempted to candle one and see if there is any movement. I'll sit on my hands for now. I'll be really disappointed if they don't hatch as one of my blue Americauna girls was killed by a raccoon, and some of her eggs are in there. I was hoping to keep a daughter of hers.

7. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I don't have any great words of wisdom for you. I usually get a pip at day 19 and today I have nothing. No rocking, nothing. I candled before lockdown and other than 1 egg being a dud, they were all developed. I guess we will just have to wait and see. HUGS to you

8. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    well now it is day 25! I was going to call it a day when I thought I'd just make a small hole in the air sac and see if anyone was home. WElll....there is a living moving chick in there! go figure. [​IMG]
    Now what? Holy moly if there are others I don't want to abandon the hatch, but what the heck are they waiting for Christmas? I didn't break the membrane and I"m misting it every so often so it doesn't dry out, but that involves lifting the lid. I figure at this point, I'm not so worried as if anything survives its gravy and kind of a miracle. any ideas?
    I'd like to salvage a couple if I could as my beautiful Blue Americauna girl's last eggs are in here. She was killed just after I loaded the incubator.

Any suggestions would be welcome.[​IMG]

thanks for all your responses so far.
    Lynn

9. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Do you have a thermometer in there? Maybe it is off by a degree or two. Could have delayed the hatch.

10. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    It is certainly possible. I do have both a thermometer and a hygrometer. they have both been historically pretty accurate but, sure it could be off.

Does that mean they could still hatch and be ok? or would being off by that much mean they would likely be weak, not able to get out?
    L

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by