My hatching adventure - updated with pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goodguytx, May 18, 2009.

1. goodguytx

goodguytx Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    I have a Blue Cochin that went broody. I live in the city, and can't have a rooster, and therefore have no fertile eggs. I decided to get her a few fertile ones to try to hatch. This is where the madness began.
    So I go on ebay and get a case of egg envy and end up with 36 eggs coming my way. Of course I know she can't sit on that many, so I better buy an incubator for the excess. I thought that would be easy, but after reading all of your great posts/info, I realized it was a bit more complicated. I had a thermometer that came with the incubator, but that's not good enough. I got the digital thermometer/hygrometer.(2 actually) Of course I got different readings from each, but I figured I was on the right path. Reading posts, I was prepared for disaster.
    I gave the broody 4 eggs to hatch, and put the rest in the bator. Candled broody's eggs at 7 days and saw some progress. She sat tight, and was good at her job. I monitored the bator eggs, and took out the quitters, and got down to 23.
    Today is due day. I did bator lockdown and raised the humidity on Saturday. One hatched yesterday, 2 overnight, 2 more today. All look good so far. 6 more pipping. Looks like it's going to take another day or two to complete hatch.
    Unfortunately, broody's eggs quit. I took them away and gave her some wooden ones, and she's still sitting tight. Here's the question: Should I try to slip the new hatchlings under broody tomorrow night, and see if she'll raise them, or not risk it, and brood them myself.
    Thanks for any advice, and I couldn't have done this without all of your wonderful informative posts!

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Does she sit all the time? Nights too? I would try to slip the newest chicks under her. I do not know anything about incubators but Is there any way to gave the broody eggs that are about to hatch from the incubator? Someone should know. I so ,that would be great.

3. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    She sits all the time. She's been great. I'm reluctant to move any eggs under this late in the game. That whole hatching/humidity issue makes me nervous. Don't want to mess that up.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yes, give her chicks overnight. Cochins make very good mothers and she will most likely not know the difference. Do it at night though. Watch her closely to make sure she accepts them at first. DO NOT handle the chicks much before you give them to her. They imprint on the first thing they see, so you want them to really SEE her, not you.

5. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    I've left the chicks in the brooder and haven't opened it once. I'm following instructions. [​IMG] I could put some under her tonight, but then will probably have more hatch tomorrow. I'm going to try to wait until tomorrow night when most of the hatch is done. I did have one hatch yesterday, so hopefully it can stay one more day in the bator with the rest?

Thanks!

6. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    chickies can last about 3 days without feed/water while they continue to live off the remaining yolk in their belly. So you should be okay. If it's getting distressed, it will squawk really loudly.

7. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    Thanks so much. I've got one that pipped late yesterday. Can see it's beak, but not much progress today. It's still peeping. Resisting the urge to intervene. Going to have to do some gardening distraction.

8. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas
    8 hatched so far. 4 Speckled Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 2 Blue Hamburg. Everybody looks great, except the Welsummer has just been laying there. Letting it be and see what happens. 16 more eggs to go. A few have pipped. Playing the waiting game now.

9. goodguytx

May 11, 2008
    Dallas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by