my hatching style experiment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Christie Rhae, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Ok I have decided to do an experiment to see what works best for me. All my eggs are shipped 3000 to 4000 miles so I expect hatch rates to be lower than not shipped. I am using a hova bator 1588 with an egg turner. I am using a little giant still air for my hatcher. I am using the dryer humidity incubation. I keep the humidity between 20 and 35% for the incubation then up to 65+% for hatch.

HATCH #1 (over)
    For this hatch I candled often. I was very careful but I just loved to see the little chicks moving around in there so probably candled 8 times up until the 18th day. Then I moved eggs over to little giant, laid them on their side and added lots of water. After 12 hours my humidity was still not as high as I wanted so did open the incubator for a second to add a dish with paper towels folded up so that I could add water through a straw and rewet the towels. I was then able to get humidity up to 65%. On day 20 we had one pip. The morning of the 21st day we hatched one awesome little cutie pie.

HATCH #2
    eggs set on 7/10, I candled once on day 7. I will candle again on day 14 and then move to hatcher on day 18. For this hatch I will try setting them in egg cartons to keep them big end up. Hatch date is 7/31.

HATCH #3
    I set these eggs on 7/15. I have not candled. Not going to touch them until I move them to the hatcher. Due to hatch on 8/15.

HATCH #4
    I am going to toss these eggs in my purse and forget about them. KIDDING!! I don't have a 4th batch yet.. but I hope to have more soon! lol

2. Ann Lotten

Ann Lotten Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    Hi Christie, thanks for getting me hooked on the forum too! When you asked me on FB if I had checked out BYC, I hadn't gone into the forum yet... WoW! So, I've been learning a lot from others here. I owe you a Big Thanks! I look forward to following your hatching experiment. Oh, I am setting 18 Black Coppers in the incubator today, along with some Marans/Orp. Mutts. I will hope for a good hatch. Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

3. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    That's AWESOME!! I can't wait to see how it all works out!! I was just at TSC (again...lol) and was looking at all their baby chick goodies. [​IMG] I'm hoping to get mine in a couple of weeks...*fingers crossed*

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:ANN!! yay! another nail tech/chicken addict!! So glad I am not the only one. lol
    Can't wait to hear how your hatch goes.

5. Ann Lotten

Ann Lotten Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes, we certainly share some common obsessions, haha. How is your hatching experiment going? I had a power outtage on day 12 (bummer deal) for 1.5 hours (we live in the Sierra Foothills, occasional outtages due to fallen pine trees), so I wasn't sure if I would even get any to hatch. I ended up with a 50% hatch rate this time and 5 chicks. Much better than my last hatch, so things are looking up. I did things quite differently this time, by using the dry hatch method that ChooksChicks has out. Between that and now having egg turners, I think that may have done the trick. Yay! Can't wait to hatch me some more eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by