My heart is broken / Told to get rid of my girls / Resolved!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Buugette, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I got a letter today telling me I have till July 13 to get rid of my 4 bantam hens. Crying too much to think straight right now. [​IMG] I'm gonna call the township tomorrow, but I don't even know where to begin to try to keep them. They are my pets... I have had them for over a year... and my neighbors all know about them and have been fine with them.

I'm just sick over this. I don't know how to tell the kids.

D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Thats so rotten how they do that to people [​IMG] I cant even stand how they can tell someone they cannot have a few chickens.
    Its just not even right!!!!!!!

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Maybe they can be house chickens [​IMG]

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    I truly feel for you. I've had my girls for 7 to 8 years and spent over $500 trying to keep them. It took several months to find new homes for them all. I had 30, all hand raised.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Who told you to get rid of the birds and on what grounds? As you plan to begin doing with your call to the township tomorrow, research this thoroughly. This likely doesn't have to end badly.
    JJ

6. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I brought them in the house this evening... they actually come in a lot. I know it sounds silly, but I am just sobbing... they really mean a lot to me. Its not like they are outside all year, they spent the winter in my sunroom in a rabbit hutch. They were happy and they get a lot of attention.

I got a letter from the Ordinance Enforcement Officer. It says "The keeping of livestock (chickens) is not permitted in the R1 Zoning District. You must remove all chickens from your property by July 13, 2010."

It sucks cause I know there are others in my neighborhood who have chickens... and I can't say anything. I can't risk them getting in trouble.

D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I live in fear of this very thing! Of course, being downtown, police, animal control, and the neighbors all have better things to worry about.

I have lots of chickens in my little backyard farm in the MIDDLE of Philadelphia, including bantam Polish and Silkies. If you need a place to foster them, or if it gets to the point where you are looking for homes in a hurry, let me know. I could probably take them all, or place them in about 10 minutes.

So sorry for you! I can't see what the problem with 4 bantam hens could possibly be... Just ridiculous.

8. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] hope everything turns out right [​IMG]

9. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:Thanks, I appreciate that. I don't want to rehome them... I want to keep them... Its not like I have 4 horses in my backyard, or cows... that I could understand.

Where you at Chicken Stock on May 23rd? I think I met you... you look familiar...

D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  10. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I was there indeed! Us tall bald guys just don't blend in very well... [​IMG]

I'm horrible with names, and even worse with screen names, but it's very likely we did meet.

Quote:Where you at Chicken Stock on May 23rd? I think I met you... you look familiar...

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by