1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My heart was slayed by a turkey!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BeardedChick, Jul 1, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My juvenile turkey hen came up and sat on my lap for the first time today and let me pet her. OMG, I am seriously choked up at being loved by a turkey hen!

Who'da thunk I'd be a turkey person?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I can totally relate. That's very sweet. It's so nice to interact with your birds in that way!!
    My turkeys look the same age as yours. What breed are they?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Just remember that they get BIG>>LOL I have a hen that used to do that and then when she grew up she would try and fly up on my shoulder. She scratched my neck a couple times before I said enough. Of course she also wanted to peck at my glasses too..lol Congrats on the loving turkey. Jenn

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I was in the feed store with my boys a while back, And our youngest says "Dad can we get some of those, there cute!" I said "no those are turkeys, and were not getting any turkeys" his reply was "AW man I fell in love with a turkey". I said "dont worry about it your mom did the same thing when she married me" and a lady behind us almost fell over laughing.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Look like Bourbon Reds... I used to have some and loved them, wonderful personalities!

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Turkeys can be very friendly. Mine always come up to me, too. I won't pet them, though. They are food.

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I would LOVE to see more of this turkey coop! Also, how old are they?

8. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    At 10 weeks our Bourban red still like to fly up and roost on you leg. If you bend over to change there water or feed they will fly up and roost on your shoulder.

Can't wait till they are 20 weeks old and do that, then get face planted in a pile of turkey poo.

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We say around here, "Everybody loves a turkey"

10. Corona~Barb

Corona~Barb Wing Shadow Farm Premium Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Beautiful birds! I've had a couple of mine snuggle up to me when I've sat on the edge of their enclosure at dusk. One stuck his head under my armpit. Mine are all destined for the table. Next year, I want to get heritage. You guys with the Bourbon Reds, do you like their personalities? They sure are gorgeous.

Corona~Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by