1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My heat lamp bulb blew up!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baldie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hi all, I just want to let everyone know about my scare this morning. I woke up and turned the eggs in the bator and checked on my chicks that are on my computer desk. They were fine. I took my 10 yr old out to the bus and when I came back the bulb was out (red reptile bulb). I went to move it and it turned on even though the bulb was missing half of itself. Then it sparked and smoked. I unplugged it and took the broke bulb out. All was right. It was the right size bulb for the holder. The glass that broke fell on the chicks in the brooder..... I am just glad that I got here right when it happened and the chicks didn't try to eat the glass. I have reptiles and tons of these things and have used heat lamps for years and have never saw this happen. I am just glad I was here when it did. [​IMG]

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Thankgoodnes those chicks didn't eat any of it. I 'm sure all of you had a good scare. I've never heard of one of those bulbs blowing up before. Perhaps it was a defect in the bulb.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    That would have freaked me out too. Probably caused by a defect in the bulb that is naked to the eye.

4. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    The funny part is I have been using this bulb for about a month with NO problems. And I always thought they were safe. I never had one do this to any reptile tanks or anything. I know everyone worrys about them catching on fire due to touching something. But to have this happen, I am thankful I walked in the room when I did and that there was not a fire. The sparks and smoke was not fun.
    I am hoping that by posting about what happened to me that people will know and possibly prevent someone from having this happen. If the bulb was close to anything flamable, I am sure it would have ignited.

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Can someone clarify this statement?

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Quote:Can someone clarify this statement?

She's saying the bulb had a defect that could not be seen with the naked eye. It probably had a hairline fracture. When they get hot the pop.

7. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have learned to keep a couple of extra red bulbs in stock. Out of the 5 bulbs I have bought in a 5 week period, two have blown! I took them back to tractor supply. They are the westinghouse 250 watt red bulb. Just always keep extras around.

8. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Yeah, what clucky said. I don't think my brain has fully switched on yet. I seem to be having a hard time putting thoughts into words.

9. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have tons of them. I have to use them for the lizards and snake as well as the baby chicks. I have used these kinds of bulbs for over 10 years now and have not had this happen....ever. The smoke from it alone was weird. It was quite a bit. I have had bulbs blow out and just quit working, but not this. There were shards of glass all over the place. In the chicks cage on the desk and floor. When it blew, it went everywhere. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by