My Hello - First time with chickens; First challenge - winter!

Treerooted

Crowing
Dec 19, 2016
ON, Canada
Thought I'd go through the introduction part!

I'm currently overwintering 4 hens for a friend but will be getting my own in March/April.

My "backyard" is 63 acres, half of which is fields/house/barns and the other half is mixed wetland, forest and and limestone outcrop. Just moved in 3 months ago and loving the country life so far. The plan is to eventually ramp up to 75-100 laying hens (along with other farm business adventures).Having a bit of trouble with the freezing temperatures and it's only December
roll.png

Anyway, I've come across this site numerous times over the last couple years when searching for information so I figured I'd join up now that I'm in feet first!

G’Day from down under Treerooted
frow.gif
Welcome!

Best wishes on your new venture.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Best of luck with your start on the crazy adventure some call "chicken keeping"... You planning on hatching out more chicks or buying them?

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think it would be best for you to post on "Canadians - check in here." it would be a good place to ask about getting a flock through the winter.

welcome-byc.gif

Congrats on your new place and good luck with your plans!

Back
Top Bottom