My hen adopted the chicks last night, but is now pecking... HELP

Asaria1

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have two broody hens. Lightbulb went broody first, and then Pompom went broody two weeks later, so i split Lightbulb’s clutch between the two of them. On day 23 i realized the eggs they were sitting on weren't viable. So i bought a batch of chicks for them to adopt. Pompom wants NOTHING to do with the babies, so she’s still sitting on her clutch of unfertile eggs. 😂 Lightbulb did great. All the babies slept under her last night with no problems. But this morning when the babies woke up for food and water she started pecking them. Two she pecks more than the others. But when they run back under her she stops pecking. How much pecking is too much pecking? Im especially worried about the two that get pecked the most. But i dont want to remove them from the flock and have to reintroduce them later unless i have to. And what do i do with my other broody hen that’s still sitting on her unfertilized eggs?? 😂😂
Thanks!

JacinLarkwell

Crowing
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I have a hen who seems to dislike some of her chicks more than others. Is she grabbing and pulling, kicking out as well, does she puff at you when you reach for them? If the answer is no, then they should be fine. Are the targeted two different colors than the others?

Asaria1

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have a hen who seems to dislike some of her chicks more than others. Is she grabbing and pulling, kicking out as well, does she puff at you when you reach for them? If the answer is no, then they should be fine. Are the targeted two different colors than the others?
Yes, grabbing and pulling. No, not kicking out. When they are all under her she seems to be fine. Yes, the one she is picking on most is a dark chocolate. The momma hen is white. All the other chicks are light in color.

JacinLarkwell

Crowing
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
My hen acted like that too when hers hatched. 1 white, 2 with stripes and 1 black. She loves the white, tolerates the stripes and couldn't care less if the black one got left behind.

Top Bottom