My Hen and I Can't Look Each Other in the Eye Anymore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bostonbea, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Bostonbea

Bostonbea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    Bless my dear Gertie. She has had a rough first year, pro lapsing her oviduct on her first try and then obviously becoming an internal layer. She has had a stay of execution for many months by me "going in" and assisting her with ridding the egg material from her body. That is, the stuff I could reach. This was all done with care, warm baths, and love. She has always bounced back and been a spry part of our little flock.

She is now lethargic, not staying with the other flock members. She is eating and drinking though. She has a very swollen abdomen and my attempts to find anymore egg material has been fruitless.

Any thoughts on why her abdomen is swollen other than being an internal layer? I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't want to go in the back door for years to come.

Thanks!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Is it all squishy like fluid??? If so then its probably a fluid build up and should be drained with a needle.

3. Bostonbea

Bostonbea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Greensboro, NC
    No, it's definately hard. When I've helped her pass the egg material it's basically been like hard boiled egg and fluid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by