My hen and rooster seem to be fighting.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PAH111, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PAH111

PAH111 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My 5 month old hen and around 4 month old rooster seemed to be fighting today. They were flapping their wings and standing tall, arching their neck, etc. Is this just me over reacting, or were they actually fighting? Is this normal? I'm new to owning chickens, please help![​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    They might have been fighting over the pecking order. Usually when chicks are young anyone can be at the top, but when they get older the rooster generally ends up being dominant. Your rooster might be getting to the age where he makes himself dominant over all the hens, and I think your older hen didn't want to put up with it, and so fought him to see who would be on the top of the pecking order. Let me know who won. [​IMG] Oh, and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. PAH111

PAH111 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you! She's normally so sweet, I had no idea what happened....she's my little snuggler.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] Hens can be pretty rough on young roos when they start to come of age, I'm sure things will mellow out when everyone finds their place on the social ladder. [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is probably at the point where he is trying to mate her, and she is just saying NO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by