my hen and the rooster are both losing feathers HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smokiedecosta, Jul 14, 2010.

1. smokiedecosta

smokiedecosta New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    maine
    I am new to the chicken world and have been learning for 2 years about raising them i have had them for 2 months now but today(i only have the chicken and the rooster ) i have noticed both my hen and the rooster have losted feathers under there wings and they are digging holes and covering themselves with dirt i clean there living space once a week is this a mite or something? please anybody help me i love my chiken and rooster! i have seen no aggresion with my rooster either

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I would dust them with poultry dust for external parasites... it couldn't hurt and might possibly be the solution.

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    i would give them ivermectin one little bee bee size amount each and dust them

4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Chickens love to dust themselves in the dirt.... that is what they do. It is not a sign of anything. I give mine the ivermectin twice a year and dust them and their nests at the same time. Hay or straw is not a good bedding because it is hollow and lice and mites can hide. Pine shavings are the way to go IMHO. I use diatamatious earth on their food and nests and under their roosts all the time all year long.... I hope this helps

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ivermectin pour on (for cattle) can be found @ your farm supply store... 2 eye dropper drops on a banty-size bird or 4 on a full size bird... directly on the skin so it is absorbed... repeat in 10-14 days... don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks after... good stuff... takes care of both external and internal parasites.

6. smokiedecosta

smokiedecosta New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    maine
    Thank you guys very much for your information i will deffinitly take this advice and put it to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by