1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my hen boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luluann, Jan 13, 2013.

1. luluann

luluann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    There are my hen boxes. How do they look. I am going to be making a coop soon. We are still making plans. How do they look?[​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

They look pretty good. Considering they're not covered, you will want to make sure the birds can't roost over the boxes--and that there isn't anywhere the birds can perch over the boxes (such as a ladder, ledge, etc) otherwise they will be full of poop every day.

They'll certainly be better inside a coop. I know my birds would probably skip the box and lay underneath--between the cinder blocks. They prefer dark/safe places, so anyplace that's darker/safer (like the space under) will generally be preferred.

3. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    We are working on the coop plans we may start building today. I do plain on putting a roof on so they can't sit on top. We are also trying to figure out where to even put the coop.

4. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Sounds like your plans for a coop are under way. As mentioned the hens will probably want a shadded are dark area to lay. Make sure to add your roost higher then the nest boxes when you build your coop. Also how are the predators in your area? Are you considing locking them at night for safety? Just some extra things to think about as you move forward with your coop ideas.

5. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    They are in the backyard with my boxer. They will be locked up tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by