My hen cannot walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MKPine, Dec 5, 2013.

1. MKPine

MKPine New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    I have a blue laced Wyndott hen that is about 21 weeks old. I noticed two days ago that she wasn't walking quite right. Yesturday morning, I found her on the shelf I have under the roost (to collect poop) lying there with her legs spread out behind her. I helped her
    down and noticed she continued to have difficulty walking but did move around a little bit. This morning, she was laying on the floor
    of the coop not able to do anything at all. Legs still straight out behind, but she seems to not be able to hold herself in any position.
    Just kind of on her side now. she is still alert and when I put a bit of scratch inf ront of her, she was pecking and eating it? Any
    advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Do you have a photo you can post of her? I'm very very sorry to say this sounds like it could possibly be Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for mareks? Mareks is a highly contagious air borne disease. It is virtually every where. What happens is the body produces tumors and those tumors press on nerves causing paralysis. Sadly mareks can be as subtle as a droopy wing or a limp or a mis shaped pupils or grey eyes to severve as paralysis. Most having
    out stretched legs. Having mareks in your flock does not mean all birds will become ill.but if it is mareks all birds that have been exposed in the flock will be carriers although not sick themselves they can still pass the disease to other birds. The ONLY way to know for certain if it's mareks is to get your bird tested. Which I urge you to do. this way you will know without a doubt what your dealing with and can move foward in a positive direction from there. Please do some research on Mareks disease and see what YOU think. There are many folks here that have mareks and can help you. A great thread to visit and get help would be not a emergency mareks in the flock... that thread has great information and can offer support. I would also try giving your bird a good poultry vitamin incase this is a vitamin defiency. As I mentioned testing is the only way to know for sure. I Hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

3. MKPine

MKPine New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    I am wondering if it is Mareks. From what you have said, I am seeing complete paralysis in her legs. I was trying to massage and
    get her legs to bend. I can not make them bend. And they are very cold. She is just the sweetest bird, though. Not at all sickly.
    She was talking quietly while I was holding her. Her eyes look good and she is holding her head up. I have her separated from my
    other hens and will investigate further. Thanks so much for the direction. At least I have a place to start.

4. MKPine

MKPine New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    Not sure how to post a picture:(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Was she immunizes for Marek's as a chick? If she came from a large hatchery it is likely that she it. If she came from a feed store call them they should know.

I have a 1 1/2 year old molting RIR that is off, she can walk normally but she is consistently squat walking since Monday. I am considering worming her as a last ditch effort.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sadly even vaccinated chickens can still get mareks disease. I believe its 10% of vaccinated birds will still get the disease any way. Unfortunately vaccination is not 100%. But right now its all we have in defence against this terriable disease. Mareks is virtually every where and vaccination must be done properly. When the chick is vaccinated she must be given ample time for the antibodies and immiunity to develop BEFORE exposure. Exposure would mean being taken out side or around other chickens. That amount of time is AT LEAST 14 days. Some say even longer. So if you get a vaccinated chick or vaccinate yourself and don't keep that chick from outside exposue for at least 14 day's after vaccination the chick can actually catch mareks before the antibodies and immunity had time to develop. Many folks think they can just vaccinate or have hatchery vaccinate then they bring their chick outside right away and they are safe. that's just not true. Ample time must be given for the chick to develop her antibodies and immunity BEFORE she is exposed or she can catch the disease before the antibodies have developed. Its a race. Mareks is every where litterly and we ALL are at risk. So right now our best defence against this disease is vaccination with ample time given to the chick to gain her immunity and antibodies before she is allowed to go out side or be allowed around adult poultry. I hope this info is helpful and wish you the best.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by