My hen can't walk or stand.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whiterose821, Aug 1, 2013.

1. whiterose821

whiterose821 New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    I have a 6 year old Rhode Island Red that can't stand up or walk. She has been loosing her eyesight but has been fine. I found her two day ago on the ground flapping her wings, trying to move. Her legs are warm and uninjured. I can move them for her but she can't. I can feel a reflex twitch to my touch in her thighs but she can't move her legs. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this and what I could do to help her? I have other chickens and am concerned about their health. As of now the rest seem to be ok. Thanks

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    6 is quite a good age she may just be getting old, do you have any pics so we can gauge her condition? it may be time to let her go.

3. whiterose821

whiterose821 New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    I will post a pic later but I think you may be right. I just hate for her to go this way. She is a very sweet girl and the oldest in my flock.

4. whiterose821

whiterose821 New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    No picture. I decided to put her down. She was eating and drinking but could not walk and this was no way for her to live. Thanks for your concern and reply. Oddly I found one of my Dominiques dead in the coupe one morning so I lost 2. I hope it was just a coincidence. It's been a few days and the others in the flock seem to be fine. I have a hen with a messy butt so I think it's time for a worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by