My hen clucks every night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davi, Dec 8, 2012.

1. davi

davi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    My chicken, Tiny, a welsumer hen (quite a small one) keeps doing the "egg song" after everyone huddles in the chicken coop. I heard the "egg song" is what hens do before or after they lay thier egg to let the others know that they're going to have babies. But of course Tiny doesn't lay eggs at night. She always does this at low light right after sundown. She always does this: "bok bok bok bok bok bok BA-KAW bok bok bok bok bok bok bok BA-KAW!" I can hear her even when I'm in my house. Why is she doing this?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chickens don't just do that when they lay. They also do it if something bothers them. Mine does it when the neighbour's cat walks across our yard. Next time she does this, go outside and have look and see if anything's amiss.

3. davi

Jun 26, 2012
    Quote: I've tried checking on her when she does it, but nothing seems to be wrong. Every night, at the same time, She screams. She doesn't seem hungry either. And there are no squrriels and rats or other birds around at night. She can't really see the neigborhood dog either. Mabye she can hear it bark? No hawks or racoons come around this area, although I have heard some chicken owner seeing a hawk attack thier chickens, and my neighbor said that there could be a racoon living here. But I never have seen one for thier entire lives. I will check again thoough, and that time it better be important.

4. moon kiss

moon kiss Out Of The Brooder

Is there a new member in the flock? Mine are a bit noisy since I added 2 new girls. Apparently pecking order dictates where you roost. But most of this settles down shortly after dusk.

5. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I have a similar situation. Ever since I moved our chicks outside, they get "very noisy" right before night fall. They start this song and all join in, then they go inside and settle down. When it first happened, I thought my neighbors were going to have a fit. However, it doesn't last long. I saw my neighbor at the store and she said she didn't know I even had the chickens. I just accept it as part of their personality. Reminds me of when the moms in the neighborhood used to call the kids in at dinner time (when kids were allowed to play outside for hours unsupervised - way back in the good ole days) :>

6. davi

Jun 26, 2012
    Well no, My chicken Tiny has been around for at least 7 months now, and the pecking order only goes on by my much bigger light brahmas. The Light Breahmas only do it becuase they are a bit greedy about food and sometimes about thier territory.But I don't see them peck others very often. But I guess this is just her instict, she just likes to do it?

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Have you added anything new inside the coop?
    I had one that didn't like the new waterer in the coop, I guess it scared her at night.

8. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Our little Jack Russell mix is like that. if there is anything new of moved in the back yard she will growl and bark at it. Our neighbors got 3 dump truck loads of top soil and for a week afterwards Penny would growl the bark at it. She really hates it when the neighbors have their BBQr out there. lol

Maybe it's Tiny's way of calling all the other chickens into bed?

9. davi

Jun 26, 2012
    Well, I have to admit Tiny doesn't always do it every night. We got a new hen house for them to sleep in at night, they don't want to get near it so I have to push them in the new place. Tiny doesn't growl or scream or bark at it, she likes to get under it instead and look for food. Ever since we got the new hen house Tiny hasn't screamed at night so far. She can't do it anyway since I put my chickens in early. But solving problem isn't the case, I want to know why she was doing it. My chicken Tiny doesn't appreciate the football game a couple blocks from here either OR the parking lot nearby. Do you think thats why? She is always afraid of the car motors and the band playing.

10. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Have you noticed she does it only on the days there is a football game or the cars motor noise near by? Maybe its he warning call to the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by