my hen "cock a doodles" at 5am

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zumachicks, Aug 5, 2008.

1. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    what's up with that? is she missing a man around? i have no roo's, only three other hens...what is she doing? she gets all the girls in the neighborhood going!! should i be concerned or is this normal behavior?? she does it about twice a month...[​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

If I hadn't seen my hen crowing, I would have scoffed you. Aparently if you do not have a roo, then the "head" girl will crow. I wonder if they do that to see if there is another roo around to call him in. We have a guy down the road 1/2 mile or so and can hear him crow, once in a blue moon when the wind is just right. This is also the direction that my girl will crow. (that first time I heard her, I stormed out and asked DH "WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER", mind you, she was standing on a rock 20 feet from him and he was standing there with the look of confussion! ) So, your not going nuts, if she lays an egg, she is a hen that is crowing. [​IMG]

3. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    she is most definitely the "head" girl...though she is a bantam and by far the smallest of them all...too funny, ok, i'm not going nuts...thanks.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my first 3 bantams, 7 weeks old, and they are a bird of a different color already! My little roo has already attempted to do the deed, runs over the backs of the big girls and creates a riot! lol. Either way, I wanted a roo that wouldn't bother the girls thinking the smaller the better, he just has a different type of attitude! lol. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by