my hen coughing

chicklady28

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 21, 2013
Hi i have 8 hens, 6 are in one home, 2 in the other, as they really did not get on. Anyway one of my 2 girls started opening her mouth, streching her neck and coughing. We treated all my girls with flubenvet, as was told she looked like she had gape worm. This was 11 days ago, she is not gasping like she was but still coughing and wheezing alot. I thoought about ordering some antibiotics off the internet for her, incase she had a chest infection. I just do not know what to do I am new to having chickens and have fallen in love with them all. please please can someone give me some much needed advise. Many Thanks Fiona [chicklady28]

Many times it is easy to mistake a respiratory infection for gapeworm. You should give your hen another dose of the flubenvet now to get any worm eggs. Some drugs that are used to treat mycoplasmaG are tylosin (Tylan), erythromycin, Deanagard , and oxytetracycline. Here is a link with diseases and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your brilliant advice I will give another dose tomorrow morning as their all asleep now as I'm in the UK. Hopefully this will sort it I'm so worried about her I felt a lump at bottom of her neck to she's still eating and drinking not as much as she used to but still ok. Also it's got very cold all of a sudden here don't know if that caused anything. Lastly one of my hens in the other flock my daughter said was gasping a bit earlier and sneezing should I treat them all again with the flubenvet. Sorry to be a pain must sound silly but I try my best to learn what I can about looking after chickens but there's just so much to learn lol I love them so much just want to do whats best for them. I feed layers pellets with plenty of fresh fruit and veg garlic white vinegar in water as havent apple cider vinegar yet sometimes cirn and mealworm I clean them every day. So I am trying very hard to look after them well but anything else I should know I would appreciate thank you sorry for going on and on lol

A wormer should always be used twice 10 or so days apart to kill the worm eggs. I would also get antibiotic treatment for your respiratory disease. Gapeworm is very rare, and coughing and wheezing sound like mycoplasma. Here is some reading, scroll down to mycoplasma G and bronchitis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom