My hen, crooked tail wheezing

Mama_hen

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
This morning while sitting on my deck watching my girls and boys, my husband and I noticed that one of our buff hens was making an odd sound. He went to see what was wrong. He noticed that Crooked tail (Buff hen) was making that sound, breathing in and the sound came out when she exhaled. Does anyone have any idea on what it could be and any advice on how I can help her. We live in Iredell county, NC and the temp is already 77 @ 10:30 am. It is to be 94 today. Can anyone help??????????
sad.png

Last edited:
We live just below you in Mecklenburg Co and have a flock here. A few days ago we found one of our girls wheezing as well. She was eating well and acting well,but doing the same wheezing when she exhaled. We should have seperated her from the flock, but thought she just had a morsel of meat stuck in her esophagus. Needless to say, we have a few more wheezing now. We have started them all on Duramyecin (from TSC-keep it in the freezer and use it when you need it). It needs to be changed daily, so make enought to use for the day, but watch you don't run out of water in this heat. We have seen a decrease in wheezing from the original girl and hope the others do so soon.

Is your girl eating well? Separate her from the others now, taken from our example. Hopefully yours and mine will get through this. There are a number of respiratory illnesses that can be the cause.

Wish you the best with her. But definitely seperate her now.

Yes she is eating and drinking fine. This doesn't seem to bother her, at this time she isn't doing it. I really don't know, so far it is just her. I also have one Buff roos, who sneezes when he is nervous, she also does this, not all the time. The Buff (Big Bird) has done this for about three months and no-one else seems to be affected. Our girl (Crooked Tail) she is now in the nest waiting to lay her egg, not wheezing or anything, normal at this moment. I feel so helpless just like with my 4 cats, and 1 dog, it is really hard to help them all. I will keep an eye on the others and pray that no-one else will start. I'll keep you posted of any changes. Thanks!!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom