my hen crowed last night. (ha ha)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fallenweeble, Dec 22, 2007.

1. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    sooooo . . .
    ruby, my rescue chicken started crowing last night.
    uh, clearly ruby is a rubio. jokes on me.
    but he is a really great chicken so i'm not gunna hold his gender against him (okay, no puns/jokes please, this is a family site [​IMG]
    since i got him last month his comb has like quadrupled in size! it went from being "barely there" to hanging over his left eye!
    i'm posting some pics so that maybe someone might be able to determine what kind of chicken he is. he's a smaller and rather quiet/mellow guy, if that helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks!
    f. weeble

2. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'm no expert, but I think I would have to say a RIR.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cant tell without the tail...but looks sorta like a production red, or brown leghern??That floppy comb I dont think would be RIR. Mine dont have combs like that...but, im no expert either. Sure is a pretty guy tho.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a Cubalaya type breed.

5. fallenweeble

Dec 4, 2007
    thanks ya'll,
    i'd post pics with the tail but, unfortunately, most of his tail feathers were destroyed in the attack (plus i don't think they had grown in completely yet - this is obviously a young bird since his comb is still growing). i'll have to wait a few month for his tail to come back in to get some photos of it. hopefully it will be one of those glorious shiny show-off rooster tails but we'll love him even if no tail ever returns.[​IMG]
    it's just so funny that he's a rooster after all.
    i don't know much about chickens (obviously) but his behavior has been so docile and gentle and, basically, cuddly! is that normal for roosters or is he "special?"
    thanks for everyone who looked and responded!
    f. weeble

6. fallenweeble

Dec 4, 2007
    one more thang,
    after googling some pics i'm thinking cubalaya (sp?) too!
    the folks who breed him are originally from the philipines and our language barrier prevents us from discussing, in detail, what "kind" of chickens these are (all he has conveyed to me is that some are "layers" and some are "fryers" - which are the most basic of chicken catagorizations no?). in one of the sited on cubalaya's it mentions but a cuban and a philipino connection to the breed so that would make a lot of sense right?
    so, awesome! i have some answers.
    thanks all,
    f. weeble
    (excuse my horrid spelling. when i was a kid i actually had to go to special-ed classes because my horrendous spelling indicated a learning issue. well, the classes were fun but fairly useless because i'm still rather "special" in this way!!!) [​IMG]

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Looks like an american gamefowl, gamefowl breeders call these roundheads

8. fallenweeble

Dec 4, 2007
    um,
    american gamefowl . . .
    so i'm doing some research and it looks as if these birds are used, practically exclusively, for cockfighting right?
    is it safe to mix a bantam american gamefowl hen with other chickens or not? (i have a rooster AND a hen from my neighbor at this point and they seem to be of the same species.)
    and how can i be sure that these are, indeed american gamefowl and not cubalayas?
    the hen does seem pretty sassy - fearless even - but the cock is very mellow and gentle. he likes to sit on my lap and get his head scratched for goodness sake!!!
    i'm super new to chickens and i'm sorry if i seem like a total dum dum. but i could use some good advice at this point.
    i'm a little freaked out at the moment so if someone could say something soothing that would be particularily helpful! :|
    thanks,
    f. weeble

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Yea that does make alot of sense that it would be a fighting bird... PLEASE I don't want to offend anyone...but my neighbor, who used to raise birds to sell to ppl who fought them (in Louisiana) told me they would cut the combs off & feed them to the birds to give them a 'taste' for it [​IMG] S0 that could be why your bird's is now appearing or 're-appearing' and I've always been told they are 'beautiful' birds. I have never personally been around these birds, just know what I have heard/been told living near the Tx/La border. I, personally, don't think I would mix any of them with my birds period...ESPECIALLY if I didn't know it's origin. (I have been offered a few hens & turned them down)
    Kristi

10. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The reason I say he is an american gamefowl is that cubalayas have white legs, he has yellow, and he doesn't have the typical cubalaya face and beak, I would have nothing against crossing him, as the hens make excellent layers and mothers, I keep about 20 around just for that purpose

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by