My hen crows laid two eggs and wont seem to lay anymore she is about 6 months old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crgodschild, Sep 11, 2012.

1. crgodschild

crgodschild Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I have two chickens I am shore that one is a hen and the other is a rooster but it is hard to tell because they both crow the one that we think is a hen is fat like a hen cackels like a hen we are shore she laid the eggs but her facial comb and wattles are bigger she acts like a hen but she crow's she has laid only two eggs and then I have not seen anymore does anyone know whats going on.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pictures of birds?

3. crgodschild

Jul 28, 2012
    they ar both in my profile pic but here ya go[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

It's hard to tell from the pictures what their feathers look like. They both look like roosters because I think I am seeing hackles and sickles on both of them.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Uh...one of those is a cat [​IMG] (jk)

Are you sure the eggs were chicken eggs? Because those both look like possible roosters. Could you get any more pictures?

6. crgodschild

Jul 28, 2012
    ya they were chicken eggs, one was white and the other was brown. I do have more pic's but there not very good but I can get more.

7. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop

the same hen wont lay a brown one day and white another

how many more hens you got

as i also see 2 Roos there

you may need to try trap nesting and see other than that more closeup pics will defo help

8. UrbanEnthusiast

UrbanEnthusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Port Orford, Oregon
    Yep, if you got one white and one brown egg, those are from two different hens. You can bet the farm on that one. A hen can only lay one color of egg. Sometimes there is slight variation, particularly over the course of the laying season, but never two different colors all together. I agree those both look like roosters, but I would need better pics to give an official opinion as I am not too familiar with game breeds.

9. crgodschild

Jul 28, 2012
    I only have two chicken the eggs were in the same nest one was white and the other egg was brown. well if everyone is saying both chickens are roosters then the eggs might have been rooster eggs which are eggs that are not complete which explains the one time deal.

10. silkiechicken

If you only have two birds, and you got a white and a brown egg, you have two hens. The only other option is someone is playing a trick on you. Roosters don't have ovaries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by