My hen died leaving my drake alone

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoppaFarm, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JoppaFarm

JoppaFarm New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    Michigan
    We had to put down my pekin hen because she had a prolapsed uterus and was suffering. Since then (it's been almost 2 days) my drake just lays under a bush all day (with my one chicken) he hasn't really ate his food. Will he be ok by himself? I really don't want to add another hen until spring but I'm afraid he will be depressed.
    Any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry you lost your duck, and now your drake is alone, thank goodness it's going towards winter because drakes with chickens is not a good match, Drakes have been know to mate and fatally wound hens. So hopefully being the time of the year it is you'll not have to deal with that. Have you thought about looking into rescues to see if you can find a ,mate for your drake. Winter can be a lonely time anyway and he sounds like he is pining especially if he isn't eating. Or even Craigslist? I would hate for you to lose him too. and [​IMG]

3. JoppaFarm

JoppaFarm New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    Michigan
    I had 7 and jut sold 5 last week (kept 2) then this happens. The lady offered to sell one back

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I might take her up on the offer. Ducks can get depressed. I thought Romy was going to die a couple of days after we lost her BFF.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wow can't beat that. I hope it works out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by