1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my hen died with few symptoms need help for answer please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nofowlplay, May 15, 2016.

1. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    My approx. 3 year old speckled Sussex hen was found dead in the pen yesterday morning. She was dead for awhile because she was already stiff as a board and cold. Where she had been in the coop the night before there was a large amount of thickish white loose liquidy poop. just before night time she seemed a little slow and unenthusiastic but nothing major.

I pulled her back from a bad bout of sour crop last year and she was much sicker then so I wasn't worried much about her that night.

Earlier in the day she didn't run for her mealworms but she was out in the yard with the rest of the girls running around. What could have happened? They were wormed early in the spring. They have anything a chicken could want. This hen was picked on frequently by one of the others but she had buddies too and knew how to evade the bully. I did not see any bleeding but her face was very reddish purple. Can anyone help? Did I miss something I could have done for her? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by