My hen died!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luv_my_babies, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Luv_my_babies

Luv_my_babies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    So the last couple days I've noticed our hen Salt standing still with her feathers looking really full. Last night my girls were locking up the chickens and told me something is wrong with Salt. So I went out to take a look. When I got out there I noticed her panting, her vent moving in and out and up and down. Also, when we went to touch her she made no attempt to move. So we thought an egg might have been stuck. We put her bottom into a warm tub of water where she couldn't even hold her head up. We did that for 20 minutes. When we took her out and I started drying her off she jerked a few times and her necked feathers stood up and she passed in my arms. What could have been wrong? Please help! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] My girls were there too and they are heart broken too. She had the biggest comb that flopped over one eye!

2. krissie02

krissie02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Did she have mites maybe?

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear she died[​IMG] What type of hen is she? Had she been eating & drinking good? What about her poo? Normal, or were there changes?

4. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    So sorry to hear this :(

5. Macdot

Macdot New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    I know just how your feeling, we lost Mary Jane on sunday night- she died in my husbands arms in a very similar way to your hen. I don't know what killed her she had seemed quite healthy untill the morning of the day she died. she wouldn't come down her ramp and didn't pick up after a warm epson salt bath and blow dry. We have had her since she was hatched along with her 3 sisters, Nellie died in a tragic accident in March but Edith and Marjorie are still ok, but seem to be missing Mary Jane. I come on the site to find out if I should get a couple more chicks to bring on as I would hate for one to be left on their own.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How hot has it been in your area? It sounds to me like she had some sort of heat stress, or was egg bound. The warm water soak may have been too late to save her if she really was egg bound.

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I, too, have lost a bird to egg binding in the last few months. The egg got stuck further up her oviduct, and her only symptoms were not eating and lethargy. I only found out that she was egg bound when I did a necropsy on her after she died. Inside her abdominal cavity was a normal egg, wrapped in egg yolks and obviously stuck. I felt so bad that I hadn't thought about the possibility that she was egg bound, but sometimes, you just don't know.

7. Luv_my_babies

Luv_my_babies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    It was in the 90's yesterday but she had been acting a little strange for a couple of days. The girls don't think she was laying yet. She was a white Leghorn. Her sister has been laying for a couple of weeks. She would not eat or drink when we found her and we were at work n school so I dong know if she had earlier in the day.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One should confirm that a hen has a stuck egg before bathing it. Even the, bathing it not the safest way to get the egg out.

My vets have instructed me to give fluids, calcium and place them in a warm bathroom filled with steam. Checking for an egg is easy, just put on a glove and gently insert a well lubed finger in the vent. If there is an egg you will be able to feel it.

These pictures should help you with an exam:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by