My hen doesn't like boys!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flagday76, Nov 17, 2008.

1. flagday76

flagday76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    Hi! I have a really nice black silkie hen that I would like to hatch some eggs from...the only problem is she does not like any of the roosters. I have tried her with all the roos I have (even the 4-toed ole' man just out of desperation!) and all she does is attack them and harass them! She has always been a little strange. Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe my DH has talked to her...he is oh so happy (sarcasm here) about all the eggs I have in the sportsman...I think they are co-conspirators to keep me from hatching more eggs this fall [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    sure its a hen?

3. flagday76

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    She's been laying eggs for more than a year, so I'm pretty sure she's a hen [​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Get stronger roo?
    Did she live with males or are they new roosters to her?

5. flagday76

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    She was cooped with the older rooster this summer, but was not laying very consistently at all. It does not take much to disrupt her laying. I caged her and one of my pullets to condition them for showing, and since then she has been by herself. She doesn't like anyone I put her with...she barely tolerates herself! I tried to put her back with the old man, but they fought something terrible. It was more her than him. Then I tried each of my two splash cockerels (of breeding age), and she liked them even less. I am afraid I will never get any eggs to hatch out of her! Auuggghhh....

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Is she really close to you?She may think "you" are her "roo".

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she's gay. I can't imagine being forced to mate with someone you found aggressive and unattractive. Leave the poor girl alone, give up on chicks and love her for who she is. Maybe she'll adopt! Don't torment her with men anymore, it's just bad for both chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by