My hen escaped the HAWK!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoosterPecked, Jan 27, 2011.

1. RoosterPecked

RoosterPecked Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    After watching a hawk take off with my hen I never thought I'd see "Bo Peep" again until the next morning when I spotted her out at the barn. When I walked up to her she fluffed her feathers up in fear and I saw on the back of her neck where the hawk had taken about 2 inches of flesh out of her. I have been putting a hydracortisone cream on it and I am keeping her separate from the flock. She is eating and drinking good and seems to be doing much better and is laying eggs. When would be a good time to introduce her back into the flock? The rooster is my biggest concern and the back of the neck is the place he always seems to target with the hens? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    not until its completely healed and has feathers...chickens will canablize if they see blood and continue to peck at it.

3. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good luck with your hen - good for her for escaping! My very limited experience with injured birds is - they will let you know when they are ready to go back. They tolerate separation very well when they aren't feeling good, and as soon as they feel better they want out. The rooster may change things though, and I wouldn't put her back with an obvious wound for pecking reasons. We performed surgery on one of our hens, her incision was only a few days old, but covered in feathers and she did fine. The less time spent away from the flock the easier the re-introduction will go. Good luck, keep us posted!

4. RoosterPecked

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks Heather......I was kinda thinking that's what I'd hear. I will continue to keep her isolated than. [​IMG]

5. RoosterPecked

Nov 4, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Erin! We were just given 14 more hens and another rooster last weekend so it probably would not be a good time for "Bo Peep" to go in the lions den quite yet. She does want to go in there and sits atop a bale of hay near a window where she can see inside the hen house at the others. She continues to talk to them and tries to go in when I go to get eggs.

How did you perform surgery on your hen? Did you actually stitch her? The hawk actually took the skin right off the wound area where you can see meat now and no feathers. I think it's going to be a long time for recovery there.

6. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    No, probably not a good time. My least favorite thing about chickens is how violent they can be. We did use sutures. She had an impacted crop and conservative measures were not working. We cut through her skin and crop, the crop we "sutured" with super glue and for her skin we used a very small suture given to me by a friend that is a nurse. Are you thinking about stitching her up? I would put betadine or something similar on to clean the area well then leave it to heal on its own. If you are having trouble working on her try putting a sock on her head - instantly asleep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by