My Hen Ethel is acting weird and I'm worried about her

Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
This morning she was standing near the door staring at a wall. I gentle got her to come out, but she went one part of the run and stayed there. Worried she might get to hot later I put her back in the coop. She looks physically fine, but I don't think she has eaten or drank anything. Out of everyone Ethel is the most lively usually. I'm worried....

So sorry for your loss. Many times when we notice there is a problem, it may already be too late. Chickens can hide their problems well. When they keep to themselves inside the coop, that is the first sign that something is wrong. Sometimes doing a home necropsy to look at the abdominal organs, the crop, and gizzard, is a good way to figure out what happened. Also most state vets will do necropsies and testing, if it should happen again with another bird.

You've taken the first step in helping your hen - recognizing that she has a problem and isn't feeling well. Next you need to figure out how to help her.

I begin with the crop. That's a very likely issue. Feel the crop. Is it over-full or completely empty? If full, is it soft and squishy or hard and lumpy? To verify a crop issue, you will need to follow up in the morning by seeing if it emptied properly over night.

If the crop is normal, then we move on to the possibility of a reproductive issue, another very common illness in hens. When was the last time she laid? Any problem with egg quality? Any discharge from the vent? Color of her poop?

Feel under the vent. Anything hard and egg shaped stuck there? Is there any swelling and redness there? Is she straining to poop something out?

After your replies I went to check on Ethel and try those things suggested to do for her. However when I got there she was outside laying on the ground. I picked her up checking her crop which was empty when she started having a seizure. Not knowing what else to do I put her in the coop locking the other chickens out. Then I went to call a vet on my cell, and a friend who has had chickens for a very long time on my mom's phone. My friend said it was more than likely a birth defect that takes hold as an adult. I went back down to check on her to find her dead and very stiff. I had been gone maybe 10 minutes if that. My dad buried her for me... I never expected to loss one that fast. She was fine just yesterday, and nothing was weird.

If she isn't eating and drinking that is a problem. You really need to take her to see a vet. Here is a directory of vets who see chickens - http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php

Ethel died before noon today. Everything happened so quickly. I tried to get in touch with a vet, but she was died before... She was fine the night before. Where I live only one vet was open, and I would never have gotten her there in time. I live out in the country.

This morning she was standing near the door staring at a wall. I gentle got her to come out, but she went one part of the run and stayed there. Worried she might get to hot later I put her back in the coop. She looks physically fine, but I don't think she has eaten or drank anything. Out of everyone Ethel is the most lively usually. I'm worried....
Is her crop full? Check her vent and feel for an egg. What does her poop look like? How was she yesterday? Has she been Injured? Weight loss? How old is she? Does she lay regularly?

Back
Top Bottom