My hen Gina trying to sing like a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by judyki2004, Feb 3, 2013.

1. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    My hens Gina and Yamina became widows a couple of weeks ago, and today Gina who is the alpha one and the oldest wake me up with a strange noise, as I get up and watch from the window I see her standing in the characteristic rooster pose in what seems to be her attempts to sing as a rooster, unfortunately when by the time i get the camera she stop doing it. It was truly funny & I wonder if someone else have witness such behavior in a hen,

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have read about an alpha hens crowing in the absence of a rooster. I bet someone has put a video on youtube.

3. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    I will check on youtube!

4. Bellurd

Bellurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Woodland Hills, Ca
    I have never had a rooster in my flock and one of my hens decided to take on the rooster role for a few annoying months. She even tried mounting the other hens and her little "crow" was so goofy. She eventually snapped out of it though.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a Serama hen with chicks that I kept in the house for a couple of months. I heard her crowing regularly. Her crow was a bit softer than the roosters' (thank goodness!) but it really surprised me the first time I heard it!

6. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    LOL thats way too funny... but i need to catch that criminal free-range roo and send him to jail, so I can buy a new rooster for the girls asap!

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by