My hen got beat up bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovesranch, Nov 13, 2013.

1. lovesranch

lovesranch New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    So my wheaten maran has sustained a good beating. I didn't notice anything until I let her out in the morning and I noticed her eyes swollen shut, and she had a huge scab on the back of her head, which made me think this happened overnight. I immediately removed her and placed her in an isolation pen. She seems to be doing ok, but her eyes are barely open and she is seems to be having difficulty walking. I put bacitracin on the scab, but since it was a scab, I dont know if it got infected. It doesn't seem red or angry, but I really don't know what to do, but wait and see. The attack doesn't really make sense, because the birds she was with are her brooder mates and they have never showed agression towards her, so Im left scratching my head. Any ideas on how to nurse her back to health?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Her eyes will be back to normal in a few days prolly I really wouldnt do anything chickens are strong and she'll heal on her own. A few days ago I had 2 get into it and from one side he looked normal but when he turned around he looked like a totally different chicken, swollen shut eye, bloody earlob, and floppy wing within a few days he was back to normal.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. lovesranch

lovesranch New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks, its already been about a week, should I be concerned?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by