My hen had a black floppy cone :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xx Georgina xx, Aug 2, 2013.

1. xx Georgina xx

xx Georgina xx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2013
    Hi Everyone,
    My hen has a black floppy cone, she has runny poo to, she has been laying eggs ok !
    But I don't know what's wrong it looks quite bad
    Mum thinks its because shes dehydrated but I don't know.
    What is wrong with her??? And how can you cure it???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dark or bluish tinge can be either circulatory issues,or can also be hormonal issues. Runny poop,has she been drinking large amounts of water? How is her vent area,any poop stuck to her vent,whitish discharge from vent? I would bring her inside in a cage,keep her quiet and calm,see if her comb changes back to normal color.

3. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Hello their,
    I can't really bring her in the house because we have cats which has never seen a chicken an my parents won't let me bring her in, she does have some runny poo in her vent (her bottom) and ever since I put out a bowl water ye she's been drinking more than usual and do you know how to keep her quite and calm everytime she makes so much noise I come out and check if she's ok but she does seem very loud and noisy when I go in but quite when I come out when I let her out for a little while she started to drink like loads and she had her beack up for sometime

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Here is a link for vent gleet,look and see if this might be her problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.

5. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Thanks for the link xx
    I will see if she has any of them when I get home x
    Also I can't see if she's laying any egg's because she does not lay them when someone is their (a human)
    I don't know if she has a swallon vent, yesterday her behavior has changed she pecked me when I was moving the log so it don't get in their way, she hasn't been bleeding but she does have poo on her feather's but not a lot, if you didn't look in her feather's you wouldn't see it, she has been sitting down for a little bit of time then the other 1 Snowdrop sit's with her (I think for the support of something) and she don't hide in her wing's but she also wont let me take a picture she does keep moving when I take a look at her

6. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Hello,
    Spikes had a floppy cone for 1 week and 5 days ( I think )
    It's getting better but she's pooing rather a lot and she has runny poo! I think she has a stomac ache I'm not sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by