My hen had a tick on her comb!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RingneckParrot, Dec 6, 2012.

1. RingneckParrot

RingneckParrot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    I have this beautiful white hen, (unsure of breed) Snowball, who just recently got a biggish sort of tick embedded in her comb. My Mum helped me get it out with some tweasers and she was fine after that. She still is healthy and happy, but the problem is, is that where that awful tick had been is now an infected black lump. We put some bettadine* (unsure of how to spell name) on it yesterday but it's still looking a bit grayish. I don't know what to do to get rid of it. It's not like it's affecting her or anything but it just looks a bit ugly and I don't want it to get any worse. She is quite a nervous chook (even though i've had her as a 6 week old and still doesn't like to be caught!) so it's sometimes a bit hard for her to keep still but she usually is a good patient. Please help!!! I will post some photos soon...[​IMG]

2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Don't worry it's just a scab. She'll heal in no time and be back to her normal self.
    Unfortunately I have plenty of experience with ticks on all sorts of animals and chickens rarely get sick or die by the poison; Just a big lump where the tick was attached along with a scab.

3. RingneckParrot

RingneckParrot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Thankyou very much! It's just that I didn't know what it was and if it was something I wanted to nip it in the bud before it got any worse.
    Thanks again!

4. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603
    its possible that the tick head was left in her comb by mistake, that happens a lot when you pull out a tick, the head can remain in the flesh or in the blood supply like on dogs the head gets left behind & can even travel in the blood stream if its pulled out & the head is left in the vain when you pull it out, , so the best way to remove a tick is to light a match and blow it out then place that hot match head on the back of the tick & it will back out of the blood supply with its head in tact, then kill it...!!! some say use salt on the tick , but you have more control with a hot match stick...lol... i come from new England the home of many ticks .[​IMG]so take care & good luck Dianna[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by