My Hen has a cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CDELLINGER, May 3, 2011.

1. CDELLINGER

CDELLINGER New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    I have a BO Hen (Chatter Box) who has been sneezing for a while now & some times her breathing sounds raspy. We have been giving antibiotics to her but she doesn't seem to be getting any better.
    She has also stopped laying & hasn't gained as much weight as her siblings have. Other than that she seems fine, she eats & drinks like normal.
    I would really appreciate any advice on how to help her get better.

First time poast,,,, Hope I done this right.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. Sounds like it is a chronic respiratory disease (CRD.) Since you've been using an antibiotic and it isnt working...most likely it is a viral disease. Antibiotics have no effect on viral diseases. Here's a list of common poultry diseases at this link.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    You can check all of them out if you wish, but you might start with the viral diseases first.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
  4. CDELLINGER

CDELLINGER New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    Thank You so much for the info! I'll check out these links right away!
    I don't want to loose her, she has become a favorie of mine. Anytime you pick her up she'll just sing & chatter to ya no matter how long you hold her. Which is how she got the name Chatter Box.
    I also have 15 grown chickens, 4 peeps & 14 eggs fixin to hatch next week!
    Hopefully I can get a handle on this before anyone else gets it!
    Thanks again for the help!
    This forum is Great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by