my hen has a lump in her throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechooks22, Aug 2, 2013.

1. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    This morning when i was feeding my silver laced wyandotte i found that one of them is having trouble breathing so i picked her up and felt her neck and she had a lump in it ....We opened her mout[​IMG]h and shined a light down it to have a look (because it was up the top of her neck ..near where the very back of the tounge ) and there is a corn coloured thing at the enterance of her wund pipe ......we think it may be tonsilitis but not sure ...in the few seconds we had her mouth open i managed to get a photo ......does anyone know what it is ? Or how to cure it?

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
  3. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Thankyou ....i google it and we think the same thing ...i had never heard of a canker ....by the time i saw your message all the vet around us were closed so we couldnt buy any medicine for her so we will tre tomorrow

4. thechooks22

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Hey ......she is better now but i have stilll kept her seperated from the other hens.........does anyone know how long i should leave her seperated for?

5. rufusandsandra111

rufusandsandra111 New Egg

May 23, 2009
    Naunie, Thank you so much for this link on trichomonas. I have been treating a hen incorrectly! Thanks to you she is now on the mends! The pic in the chooks 22 posting you replied to looked exactly like my hen. Thank you again!!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by