My hen has a snotty beak, should I worry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Desert Peep, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Shamique, my 3 month old black australorp hen has had a dirty, muddy beak with sand, and stuff sticking to it for a day or two. Today I noticed mucous/saliva on her beak while she was eating her treats (boss). She wipes her beak on hard surfaces to clean it off. Is this something I should be concerned with? She is otherwise acting normal, as are her sisters, none of which has similar symptoms. The weather has gone from warm to cool in the past couple of days; we are in southern AZ.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    With our weather change one of my polish started sneezing and had a runny nose and a boogery face. I cleaned him up brought him in and put them all on sulmet. Day 3 he is much better.
    sharon

3. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is sulmet, and where can it be purchased? Our weather has changed dramatically the past week or so from high 80's to mid 60's for daytime highs. The nights are also much cooler in the 50's. At least that's cool for southern AZ:) Thanks for the suggestion.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I ordered some to have on hand thankfully from jefferslivestock online
    sharon

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Is Sulmet better for this than Tetracycline?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by